All about makeup foundations: types and brands
Hi friends! How are you? This week we have to talk about an essential: makeup bases . Without a doubt the first step towards a flawless face.
But we must not forget that each skin has its needs, so we must know which one to choose and which tone is the most suitable for our face . These are the basic points that you cannot miss about the makeup base.
- Types of makeup base: how to choose yours
- How to apply makeup base correctly
- The best makeup foundations
Well, you just need to keep reading, I have many things to tell you! 🙂
Types of makeup base: how to choose yours
Without a doubt, the makeup base is an essential part of the makeup routine. It helps us to unify the tone of the face and to cover imperfections and blemishes . There are many types and brands of makeup bases, which are adapted to the needs of each skin.
When choosing the base, you have to take into account two factors: skin tone and type . From here, we will have to choose the type of makeup base we want (mousse, liquid, powder ...)
We are going to break down each of these factors so that we are clear about the perfect makeup base according to your skin type .
- Dry skin : This type of skin is characterized by being dull, tight and lacking in hydration. Therefore, we will need the base to be juicy, hydrate and not dry.
- Combination or oily skin : They have a lot of shine, accompanied by acne and blemishes. They are very sensitive, and tend to have redness so good care is needed. It is best to use a foundation that mattifies and has good coverage, to cover these types of problems.
- Normal skin : this type, luckily, can choose more freely, although fluid and satin foundations are recommended.
After knowing what our skin type is, it is time to look at its tone, to ensure that the makeup base adapts to the skin and does not appear artificial on the face, since its function is to homogenize, not change the face color.
- Pink skins . Beige or yellow bases.
- Tanned skin . Golden tones, to enhance the natural tan.
- Dull or sallow skin . Slightly pink base, to bring freshness.
When trying it on our skin, it is not advisable to try it on the hand, since it can vary with respect to the face, as explained from Maybelline. Also do not do it in the area of the cheeks or nose , since they are usually more reddish due to the circulation of the blood.
And now comes the time to differentiate between the types of makeup bases. In this case we will talk about 5 types, different formats designed to achieve the result you need at all times, depending on your skin type.
- Cream or mousse makeup bases . They are moisturizing and have a very soft texture, although not all brands make them. Its coverage is medium-low, since it leaves a very natural finish. For dry skin they go very well, but nevertheless they do not hold too much in combination or oily skin.
- Liquid bases . It is the most common and easy to find, since they are the most versatile to work on the skin. Its coverage is medium-high. They are normally used for all skin types, but with specific formulations for each one: in the case of oily or combination skin, it should not have an oily base. If you have dry skin, you must.
- Powder bases . They are also very common and quite used in the makeup world, and we find it in two forms: compressed powder (in compact cases, it can be high or low coverage, and is ideal for skin without blemishes) and mineral powder (you have to apply it with a brush, and can be worked in layers, with high coverage). As I said, they are ideal for oily skin with few blemishes, as they control oil and leave a natural tone. However, if your skin is dry, you should hydrate your face very well before applying them.
- Bar bases . They are not very common to find. They are usually used by professional makeup artists, since it has a very high coverage and is easy to apply. They are very useful to cover scars or marks. They work better on dry skin, since in oily skin you have to seal them well.
- Bases BB Cream . They started in Korea and have become popular in the rest of the world. These foundations cover imperfections and unify the skin tone, but also work as sunscreen, moisturizing and wrinkle prevention, among others. And we find them designed for different types of skin. All in one!
Now that you know what to take into account to choose a good makeup base, here is the way to know how to apply it correctly.
How to apply makeup base correctly
In addition to choosing a good base, it is also very important that the skin is cared for so that the application is smooth. The first step is to exfoliate the skin regularly to refine its texture and remove dead cells.
It is also important to hydrate the skin well before applying the makeup base, so we will get it to set better. The concealers should also be an important part before the foundation, since this way we will achieve a totally uniform face.
And it's time to apply the Makeup and , ¿ but what instrument use? It is the eternal dilemma, although without a doubt it will depend largely on what you like the most and what you feel most comfortable with. Here we are going to contemplate all the options:
- Beauty Blender. It has become a widely used tool in the world of makeup. It is designed to give a perfect finish and to reach every corner. Perfect for a fluid foundation.
- Sponges : perhaps the one that requires the longest use to achieve a good finish. It is recommended to use it moistened so that it is easier to apply. It is suitable for fluid and stick foundation.
- Foundation brushes . In this option we find many models, of different types and brands. It will depend on the finish you are looking for, but the result is usually quite good, since it distributes the product evenly.
- Hands . If what you are looking for is a natural finish, then this is your best option. Body heat makes it melt more easily, giving a very light and natural finish. It is also recommended if you have little time to put on makeup.
I leave you a video of My Crazy Makeup where she explains tricks to apply makeup base.
Now comes the last step: choosing the perfect makeup base . In you will find numerous options, but here I leave you my favorites.
The best makeup foundations
Without a doubt, a good makeup base makes a difference on our face. As I have mentioned before, it is very important to choose the format, the tone and the tool to apply it well . Here are some makeup foundation recommendations:
- Fit Me by Maybelline . The perfect base for combination-oily skin. Achieves a matte, shine-free finish and reduces the appearance of pores. In addition, it has a very light texture.
- HD Liquid Coverage by Catrice . This base is recommended by many bloggers and influencers. Its liquid texture and great coverage make it one of the best low cost foundations on the market.
- Conceal + Perfect 2 in 1 by Milani . This low cost base also gets rave reviews. Its advantage is that it also contains concealer, so it eliminates dark circles, hides redness and blemishes, to achieve a uniform and natural face with perfect coverage.
- The Eraser, by Maybelline . Its perfect applicator will help you reach the most difficult areas of the face. With its formula based on Goji Berries and Collagen, you will be able to hydrate the skin while giving it elasticity. In addition, it guarantees SP18 protection, thus avoiding the harmful effects that the sun could generate on the face.
- Double Wear by Estée Lauder . Thanks to the liquid texture you will achieve a long-lasting hold. It also has SPF10, ideal for preventing spots on the skin and protecting us from the sun's rays. Suitable for all skin types. It is oil free and has no odor.
- Infallible Stick, from L'oreal Paris . This stick is ideal for the whole face: you can use it as a makeup base, as a concealer or to contour, with a darker tone.
- Mineral foundation SPF 15, by Lily Lolo . Its products have the BUAV seal, with a Cruelty Free guarantee, in addition to being free of parabens and abrasive chemicals, they are 100% naturally composed. In addition, Lily Lolo products are suitable for vegans. This base is recommended for all skin types.
- Soft Touch Mousse, by Essence . Its mousse texture makes its distribution over your skin very easy and a powder effect finish that will give a velvety appearance to your complexion. Due to its medium coverage, it covers imperfections and unifies your color in the most natural way.
- BB Cream M Perfect Cover by Missha . 3-in-1 effect: with anti-blemish, anti-wrinkle power and with sun protection. You can find it in six different shades to choose the one that best matches your skin. Composed with extracts of rosemary and chamomile that have a calming effect, Gatuline RC with regenerative effects on the skin, and hyaluronic acid that deeply hydrates.
- BB Cream Bonjour Nudista, by L'oreal Paris . It is composed of 92% ingredients of natural origin. Its light and breathable formula is enriched with apricot oil, green tea extract and antioxidant vitamin E.
And here the post today! As you can see, there are numerous options when choosing makeup bases . Numerous brands, formats, for different types of skin ...
Which one is your favorite? Let me know in the comments! 🙂
I'll be back next week with more beauty content for you 😉
If you liked the post, do not hesitate to share it on your social networks, and if you have any questions, write me!
See you soon!